Re: Instrument Theft

> If players remained in uniform or wore 'walking out' uniform there wouldn't
> be a problem.

Your first assumption is that thieves don't play in brass bands.  Much as I'd
like to believe that, there are always a few rotten apples in every barrel.
Financial pressures in our modern world can also cause some people to do
the most unexpected things.  Secondly, thieves don't all wear striped T-shirts
and masks.  If you are suggesting that anyone leaving a contest hall with an
instrument under their arm is legit so long as they are wearing a jacket and
flannel trousers (or skirt!) then that's an open invitation for a thief.

I don't know what the real answer is, but I don't think it's to be found in the
way we dress.  Thankfully, instrument theft is rare, or at least we rarely get
to hear about it.

Before I get a million and one complaints let me say that I'm not suggesting
that in this case or any other case, the instrument was stolen by a player.
I'm simply pointing out that it isn't impossible.

Don Cooper,
cardpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Don_Cooper/