CSB 28TH Anniversary concert January 25th

On Saturday, January 25th at Agincourt Citadel, Toronto, Ontario, the
Salvation Army's CANADIAN STAFF BAND celebrated their 28th Anniversary in
music with special guest BERMUDA DIVISIONAL BAND of THE SALVATION ARMY.

The program was as follows:

EMBLEM OF THE ARMY *				(ARTHUR GULLIDGE)

An energetic and invigorating march which urges us all to 'Lift up the
Army banner'.  The massed bands will be conducted by Bandmaster Warren
Jones (Bermuda).

THE TERRITORIAL COMMANDER COMMISSIONER DONALD KERR (Welcome)

CONGREGATION

We are marching on with shield and banner bright,
We will work for God and battle for the right,
We will praise his name, rejoicing in his might,
And we'll work till Jesus calls.

Chorus:

Then awake, then awake, happy song, happy song,
Shout for joy, shout for joy, as we gladly march along,
We are marching onward, singing as we go,
To the promised land where living waters flow;
Come and join our ranks as soldiers here below,
come and work till Jesus calls.

In the open air our Army we prepare,
As we rally round our blessed standard there;
And the Saviour's cross we gladly learn to share
While we work till Jesus calls.

We are marching on and pressing t'wards the prize,
Toa glorious crown beyond the glowing skies,
To the radiant fields where pleasure never diesk,
And we'll work till Jesus calls.

				PRAYER

TOCATTA - OH, THE BLESSED LORD +		(WILFRED HEATON)

This work was first conceived as a brass sextet and later amplified to a
full band setting.  This toccata is a close-knit work based on the verse
of an adaptation of the old spiritual, 'Oh, dem golden slippers', the
test beginning, 'Oh, the blessed Lord, he has saved my soul'.

BERMUDA CENTENNIAL =				(DAVID KNIGHT)

This march was written to commemorate the centennial of the Army's work
in Bermuda. The Bermuda Divisional Band will be conducted by the
composer, Bermuda's "Mr. Music".

NEW HORIZONS + SOLOIST STAFF BANDSMAN KEVIN HAYWARD	(ROBERT REDHEAD)
(Trombone Solo)

Based on the motif 'Become Aware', this is a demanding and uet very
rhythmic solo.  The first and last movements express the joy and
abandonment of living when the christian is conscious of Christ's
presence.  The movement reflectively looks at the words, 'Become Aware Of
Him, For He Is Ever Near'.

CHILD OF GOD * (Massed Vocal)			(arr. EMILY CROCKER)

GLORIOUS VENTURES + SOLOIST STAFF BANDSMAN DAVID ROBERTSON  (PETER GRAHAM)
(Cornet Solo)

An energetic solo based on the well know song 'I've found a friend in
Jesus, he's everything to me'.

SOON +						(arr. IAN ROBINSON)

A swing arrangement of Andre Crouch's song, 'Soon, and very soon'.

			INTERMISSION

ENGLAND SWINGS +				(MARTYN THOMAS)

A swing arrangement of two well-known songs from our childhood 'London
Bridge' and 'Michael, row the boat ashore'.

ON THE LORD'S SIDE *				(STEPHEN BULLA)

A festival arrangement that at first asks the question, 'Who is on the
Lord's side?', but then finds victories through trials.  The words to the
last chorus affirm:
"Master, Thou wilt keep us, By Thy grace divine.
Always on the Lord's side, Saviour, always thine."

MORNING STAR =					(IAN ROBINSON)

An up-tempo version of the popular song, "The lily of the valley, the
bright and morning star".

DANCE OF THE COMEDIANS +	(BEDRICH SMETANA, arr. IAIN RAYNER)

Bedrich Setana, who was to become one of the founders of Czechoslovakian
music, first composed at the age of eight.  He is arguably best know for
his opera 'The Bartered Bride', from which this dance is taken.

MY LIGHT AND SONG + SOLOIST DEPUTY STAFF BANDMASTER IVOR SNELL (G. KJELLGREN)
(Euphonium Solo)

The familiar song, "Jesus is my Light and Song" is employed as the there
for interesting and varied treatment.

JESUS WILL MAKE A WAY =			(words and music: CAROL CYMBALA)

A beautiful voal arrangement to be conducted by songster leader Eugene
Phillips.

				SCRIPTURE

ON A HYMNSONG OF PHILIP BLISS*		(DAVID HOLSINGER, arr. BARRIE GOTT)

A devotional seting of the tune "It is well with my soul" to which we
associate Horatio Gates Spafford's words

"When peace like ariver attendeth my way,
 When sorrows like sea billows roll,
 Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to know
 It is well, it is well with my soul."

				BENEDICTION

* MASSED BANDS
+ CANADIAN STAFF BAND