Re: Theft of instruments at warwick university.

> > ----------
> > > Date: 25 January 1997 20:30:39
> > > From: STEPHANIE W. WILSON
> > > To: 'brass-band'
> > > Subject: Re: Instrument Theft

<remainder deleted>

I am under the impression that it is almost impossible to totally remove such
stamped on serial numbers. Infra-red or some such technology brings them back.
It might be that authorities were unwilling to use this in this case (expense?)
but I believe that the ghost of the number is still there. One would have to
grind off too much metal to remove the implanted image. Just a thought.

	Ed Forner			Macalester College
	Music Department		St. Paul, Minnesota 55105
				  ***
	e-mail: forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	voice/v-mail: 612 696 6189
			   Fax 612 696 6785