Re: New Buckingham Suite

>On Wed 29 Jan 97 (09:00:04 +1100), j.alexander@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>Anyway, one of my jobs is to drop a golf ball into a bucket, to
>>represent
>>>a hen laying an egg.  As the band are wanting to do well, and have got
>>>their eye on promotion, it's a serious business, and I thought I could
>>do
>>>no better than to ask list members for advice.
>>
>>Ah!  Just what we need to take over from the Great Vibrato Debate!
>
>Yip, just make sure there's not too much vibrato in the gold ball ;-)
>Which kind of bucket are you planning on using anyway??  Large bore or Medium
>Bore?
Which reminds me of an invention  (c. 1930) by the Bohemian cornet maker
Wolfhart Lustigwho after observing the wobble of a  golf ball in flight
designed a double crook, one side of which was normal while the other had a
dimpled air way.   There was a trigger with which the player could
alternate from one crook to the other.   The dimpled one produced a vibrato
effect without the player having to alter his technique in any way.

I don't know if this was ever produced commercially.   You can read more
about it in "The Physics and Mathematics of Musical Instruments" by Carlos
Riwel (Liddel Press, 1993).

Jack Alexander
Waverley Bondi Beach Band
Sydney   Australia