Re: Brass Band (sorry if I'm beaten to a reply)

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Dustin & Dan Crenna wrote:

> Dear list,
> I am attempting to explore composition for the Brass Band, and
> would like to know, as you are all definitely "the experts", what the
> orchestration for the classic brass band might be. Also, is there anyone

I'd recommend the Dennis Wright book, something like 'scoring for brass
band'  Even though it is woefully out of date, it'll get you started.

Eb sop
4 solos
rep
2 2nds
2 3rds

Flugel
Solo, 1st, 2nd Eb tenorhorns

1st 2nd baritones

1st 2nd tenor trombones
bass trombone (2 plugs)

2 euphs
2 EEb basses
2 BBb Basses
  <all written in treble clef apart from bass trom)
3 percussion

> with any MIDI files of public domain brass band arrangements? I would like
> to see how the parts are balanced, etc. If anyone could contribute a MIDI
> or a source of MID's, or maybe an Encore score, I would be most
> appreciative.
>
> Regards,
>Dan Crenna
>

> --