RE: ISB vs. EGON

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Simon Loukes wrote:

> Also while the subject of the ISB as the army's premier music group is
> raised, i would have to disagree, and say that my vote would go to the
> Egon Virtuoso Band. As it is a recording only band, which usually spends 2
> nights and a Saturday for both rehearsing and recording a CD, that
> releases twice a year, it allows players from all over the UK to take
> part, rather than hold the ISB's London bias, which because of its nature
> it can do nothing about, and this means that some of the army's best
> players can meet and release something that will appeal to a larger
> section of the brass band market.

I've been looking through some of the mail I have received from the list
over the past month and couldn't help but comment on Simon's view of the
ISB vs. EGON VIRTUOSI BRASS re. 'THE ARMY'S BEST'.

Who is the Army's premiere brass band?  Well I do think you have to
choose from what SA bands are already out there.  For me, I don't think
anyone has heard the Sally-Ann's premiere brass band yet because they
don't exist!  If you don't see where I'm headed with this, bare with me!

The ISB's name (International Staff Band) means that it represents the
Salvation Army INTERNATIONALLY and not that it's personnel is comprised
of Salvationists who are from different parts of the globe!  I honestly do
think some of the best Army players also come from other countries as
well and are not only from GREAT BRITTAN, ie.  USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA,
just to name a few.  I do think the Army's premiere group could be
comprised with this 'INTERNATIONAL' flavor (I certainly won't name any
possible personnel names) while still maintaining an exceptionally high
level of performance.  I think a group like this would blow anything we already
have, OUT OF THE WATER........NO QUESTIONS ASKED.  (THIS IS ALL A
DREAM.  THE CHANCES OF THIS ARE PRETTY REMOTE!)  Well, at least most
biases to any particular SA brass band would no longer exist!

As for EGON VIRTUOSI BRASS, may I be bold enough to speak for SA bandsmen
over here in CANADA (or just speak for myself) in saying 'were not sure
why EGON was formed'.  With EGON saying that 'There was no recording available
of The Red Sheild on CD format' just doesn't cut it for me.  Any band ie.
ENFIELD could have recorded it on CD concidering it's their 'trademark' piece
(and eventually they did).  Maybe it was formed to 'appeal to a larger section
of the brass band market'.  Sure we need "go get'em" SA bands out there,
but was this the right way?!  I'm not bashing the band (EGON) in any
way.  I have all their recordings and enjoy them very much but I just
don't concider them an 'ORDERS AND REGULATIONS SALVATION ARMY BAND'.  I
think what EGON VIRTUOSI BRASS is trying to achieve can already be done
by existing Corp and Staff bands.  Please forgive me if saying this offends
anyone.  To me a 'RECORDING BAND' is only out there to make money.  Who
wants to listen to ie. 'The Red Shield' recorded by '________ SA band'
when there's an EGON recording of the same piece that has possibly been
recorded better.  It just seems like the other band has possibly worked
so very hard to achieve what they have for what?.........NOTHING!  I
hope I have expressed my feelings the way I wanted to.  Sorry so
lengthly but what had to be said, had to be said!  Please reply if you
feel so differently.

What makes a SA band so good anyway???  It's there desire and ability to
promote CHRIST throughout the world.  Any other reason just doesn't cut it.

Mark Sturge
SA Bandsman