FW: Theft of instruments at warwick university.

Ed Forner responded:

>I am under the impression that it is almost impossible to totally remove
such
>stamped on serial numbers. Infra-red or some such technology brings them
>back.
>It might be that authorities were unwilling to use this in this case
(expense?)
>but I believe that the ghost of the number is still there. One would have
>grind off too much metal to remove the implanted image. Just a thought.

The local police were indeed very thorough and the instrument went to the
metropolitan police labs to try and do what ed suggested. Unfortunately,
they were unable to lift the number out of the metal.
Following on from another point someone made, I'm afraid the suspect in
this case is in fact a bandsman which makes it all even sadder.

Andy Wooler
Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Public Relations Officer, SCABA
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (01273)882539