Re: Endurnce?

Hello All,

Recently, I have released a recordimg of the Clarke Technical Studies.
May I offer the following recommendations re: using the Clarke Studies
for increasing range and endurance

Clyde

http://www.erols.com/bflatmus

I suggest the following routine for Clarke's First Study: Play the first
exercise, ppp, many times (slowly at first, faster as fingering skills
permit). ABSOLUTE MINIMAL Mthpc. PRESSURE. When you have developed as
many repetitions as you believe to be possible, continue to develop
MORE.

The point is to learn, firsthand, how vital the airstream - how
effortlessly this can be done! Mr. Clarke says to "keep the lips
moving". I describe that process as the "silent whistle". Essential to
these exercises is the compressed airstream and silent whistle.

When you have moved up chromatically, through exer. # 13, it is time to
COMBINE Ex. #1 and #13 AS A SINGLE EXERCISE, within a single breath.
Now - go back and treat (2 - 14, 3 - 15, 3 - 16, Etc.) in the same
fashion.

When you are able to effortlessly play Ex.# 25, go back and combine nos.
1, 13, and 25 AS A SINGLE EXERCISE - within a single breath!! I believe
this EXPANSION principle to be essential. IT IS NOT ENOUGH simply to
play the exercises 8va!!

NOW, go ahead and GRADUALLY expand the combinations: (1 - 13 - 25)  (2 -
14 - 26)  (3 - 15 - 27)  please notice that 26, 27, 28, etc. are NOT
written out. Play them using your ordinary fingerings, so that you will
"know where you are".

In my recording, I extended this FOUR way combination to exercises: #1 -
#13 - #25 - #37, that is, #25 8va.

We played three versions of the First Etude - each a reflection of the
principal of COMBINING octaves withing a single breath, or blow.
The last version extends from F# below the staff, to C4. (An octave
above "high C".

Keep everything soft!!!! - later, as your growing strength allows, you
can gradually "step-up" the volume to FFF if you are so inclined.

"Follow" the shape of the moving lines with the silent whistle. The
"shape" of the aperture must gradually compressed as you ascend.
"Squeeze" the air ever more gradually as you ascend, in order to
overcome the increased resistance of the aperture. Air - air - air - and
more air (pressure). This is fundamental! The "static embouchure" (chops
in your fore-arms) isn't going to "work" for these "expanded" blows.

If you are an instant gratification person, you will likely have
difficulty! IMPATIENCE is truly an enemy of ambition.

Playing the trumpet/cornet is little more than singing - using the
buzzing lips rather than the vocal chords.

If you can't "buzz" it, you can't play it! (You may be able to squeeze
it out - careful, don't loosen your teeth.)

Thanks for listening - I hope this may be a help to someone, in some
small way.

Clyde E. Hunt

PS - Further clarification is available is you will email privately.