RE: ISB vs. EGON

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Gregor Spowart wrote:

> Hi all,
> Also, the selection of players would just be from one guy, so his (or her!)
> idea of a premier band may not be the idea of anothers.
>
> For example, the Egon band (I assume) was chosen by James Williams, but it
> sounds completely differenet to the ISB.

Actually, although he did have some input, more of it came from the bands
original band secretary, Kevin Norbury (The one who wrote Maccabeus and
Partita), and John Street, the managing director of Egon. James Williams,
i understand has just retired from Enfield Band, with Richard Phillips
being the one who will take over, so someone else may have the baton for
the next recording.

> Egon : yeah, i've been a little curious about this.  They're not an SA band as
> such.  Sure they're made up of SA players, but they exist to make recordings I
> believe.  Correct me if i'm wrong please.  Now, do the bandsmen get any money
> for playing in the band?   It seems to me that they are playing to get money
> into the egon company.  If you get a good band together full of good players
> then people are going to buy their cd's and as far as I can see, all this money
> is going into Egon's accounts and they're getting lots of publicity for next to
> nothing.

When have army bandsmen ever made money from recordings? Obviously Egon is
goign to make some money out of it, but then if they didn't then they
would not continue the project. All bands would aim to make some money, in
order to purchase music and instruments, from their recordings. Egon
probably have slightly larger costs because they pay for expenses for
people to come to london to record it from places like Scotland and even
Northern Ireland. These are the people, who along with those from the
South East of England, just do not have the time available to commit to
another band on a week in  week out basis.

As far as the ISB is concerned it would be more accurate to call them the
London and South East Staff Band, although since the vast majority of them
do not work for the army, as staff band members did in the past, perhaps
the Staff should be replaced by representative

Cheers
Simon

// Simon Loukes:	     Web Maintainer :
// Warwick Student's Union   www.warwick.ac.uk/~suaar