Re: No Swing in the U.K.?

A personal email reply said:
> I too have experienced the problems you describe. Could you perhaps let me,
> or perhaps the entire list, know about HOW it was done according to the
> conducter you mentioned.

Er, I was afraid someone would ask that :(

In all the discussion so far, I haven't seen a simple explanation of
the very basics of swing for the seriously oscillatorily-challenged.
I am not well-qualified to give advanced swing theory lessons, but
here's the first two rules.

To some extent it's a hopeless task, like describing a spiral
staircase over the telephone.  Anyway, here goes.

Americans should translate using a find-and-replace:
replace 'crotchet'   by 'quarter note'
replace 'quaver'     by 'eighth note'
replace 'semiquaver' by 'sixteenth note'

I'm aiming this explanation mostly at competent musicians who have
classical or brass band background, and can read written music
reasonably well.  In swing and jazz music, written parts do not
precisely convey what you are supposed to play, in both rhythm and
pitch.  This tends to be contrary the instincts of classical
musicians or contesting brass banders.

There are various 'rules' of swing, but rule zero is that none of
the rules is very rigid.  Swing is a feel, an attitude, and if it
don't feel right, it ain't right, no matter what the rules say.

The first rule of swing is the Swing Quaver Rule:
Quavers *written* as 'straight' pairs have to be *played* as if
they are crotchet-quaver triplet groups.

In 'straight' music, if the music is written in simple time (2/4,
3/4 or 4/4) then each beat is a crotchet. Each crotchet can be
split into two quavers, of equal length.  In swing music, each
crotchet beat is still split into two parts, but not equal parts.
The first quaver of a pair is extended to take two-thirds of the
beat, and the second quaver takes the remaining third. Imagine
each pair of quavers split into a 'crotchet-quaver triplet'.
Dum de dum de dum de dum instead of da da da da da da da, so to
speak.

(If you know about these things, imagine it transcribed into
compound time (6/8, 9/8 or 12/8). The dotted-crotchet beats are
then split into crotchet-quaver pairs.  Which may help someone
totally familiar with 12/8, but will only confuse those who are
not.)

The way I look at it is like this:  In simple time, a beat is
split into two quavers, 50% each. The beat is split 50:50.  In
swing, the beat is split into two parts, but it's more like
two-thirds:one-third. I'll write that as 67:33.

The 'percentage' view is very helpful, because things are not
really so simple.  The percentage split can vary with the speed.
Fast tempo beats are split 60:40 or even 55:45. On the other
hand, in slow moody swing the split is 75:25 or even 80:20,
because the 67:33 split doesn't sound 'snappy' enough at slow
tempos. (Note that 75:25 equals a dotted-quaver/semiquaver
combination).

This variability of the beat division is the reason, I think,
why swing music is not written out in compound time.  The
crotchet-quaver beat division is only an approximation anyway.
When this and all the other idioms of swing are notated, the
music page looks horrendous.  Let's face it, standard music
notation isn't much good for this sort of thing.  Especially
when the exact timing of the notes can depend on the mood,
the atmosphere, how the player is feeling, and even how the
audience is taking it.

A good example of this is the famous song 'Summertime'.  When
the mood changes from hot and drowsy (... the livin' is easy...)
to cooler and sharper (... take to the sky...) the split ratio
changes, even if there's no change in tempo at all.

There is another problem with this rule: Sometimes for brass
band or orchestral arrangements, the music *is* written out
as crotchet-quaver triplets or dotted-quaver-semiquaver groups.
The arranger may think they'll cope better if the swing beats
are written out explicitly.  Again, the written part is only a
guideline.  It's the conductor that decides the feel of the
music, and hence the split ratio that everyone must follow.
Everyone in the band must be together and follow him, as he
asks you to swing it more, or cool it down.

The second rule of swing is the Rhythm And Melody Rule:
The rhythm section keeps the ground beat, the melody swings
from the beat.

The rhythm section lays down the background beat, exactly and
precisely, and this allows the melody line to be swung by
starting some of the notes slightly before the precise beat.
Both short and long notes can have this treatment.  Classical
musicians can imagine that the note has a grace note of the
same pitch tied to it.

This is usually notated by tying a quaver to the start of a
melody note.  Again, this is only an approximation. The precise
amount is a matter of judgement.

In a brass band, it's sometimes hard to know if you're part of
the rhythm or the melody. Usually the basses are rhythm, but
sometimes they get the melody, or a melodic fill at the end of
a phrase.  The back row cornets sometimes harmonize with the
melody and sometimes fill in chords with the rhythm section.
For the poor drummer, hi-hat and ride cymbal are in the rhythm
section, but the snare drum is mostly, but not always, in the
melody category - and the bass drum can be either.

For the other rules, you'd be better asking somebody else. Hey,
I'm only a percussionist :)  To give you a flavour of them, you
know the open note that comes after G, that isn't quite B-flat
and you're not supposed to play it? That's one of the notes of
the jazz/blues scale.

And I'd better not even mention vibrato... oops... where's
that Nomex catalog... :*)

Another thing to watch out for: don't automatically assume that
someone can swing just because he thinks he can.  There's a few
people I've heard who are convinced they can, but they just
ain't got it.

To discover swing, you really have to *listen* to swing music.
Recorded, or preferably live. There is no other way.

How about a shortlist of three tracks from CDs that best display
the elements of swing to someone wanting to learn?  In other words,
not necessarily your favourite records, but easily available
tracks that are good examples of the above two rules?

Must be currently available from record stores or mail order.

Suggestions, anyone?

Tom Sheridan
Percussionist, Failsworth Band
Manchester, UK