Re: No Swing in Brass Bands.?

This thread is in danger of death by analysis.

Tom Sheridan recently said, quite rightly,
>     There are various 'rules' of swing, but rule zero is that none of
>     the rules is very rigid.  Swing is a feel, an attitude, and if it
>     don't feel right, it ain't right, no matter what the rules say.>

which echoes my earlier quote from Fats Waller who was asked to define
swing.   He said "If you don't know what it is, you ain't got it!".

But then Tom goes on to give us his analysis of how the beat may be
divided, etc.

Let me quote again from my last contribution:

"it would be nice if arrangers, conductors and players could study the
elements of jazz writing and playing - not by reading books, but by
spending some time with jazz music and musicians."

If you don't have a  basement jazz hang-out in your area,  listening to
recorded music is the next best thing.  Listen to swing bands of the 30s
and 40s.  Don't try to analyse it; listen, many times, then try to sing it
or play it on your instrument.   But youy have to getr the whole band to do
it.   One swinger doesn't make ajazz band.

Now if you can'y get the whole band to follow your example, just play the
music in the band's style - and enjoy it anyway.

PS. In fairness to UK bands, I have made a little change to the topic name.

PPS. This note is NOT a boojum

Jack Alexander
Waverley Bondi Beach Band
Sydney   Australia