Re: No Swing in the U.K.?

Here's my suggestions of 3 great albums of big band jazz to have a listen to.
Each band has a different sound, because I think of both the arrangers style
and the musicians, and all  the "Blowers" are swinging in a different way in
each band, too.  To get feel, you have to listen to it. You know you're
swinging when you feel it!  Think phrases, articulation and go with the swing!
I've played in rhythm sections on piano, and it's just amazing to hear a whole
band phrasing in just the same way. Think of the rhythm section as the "Engine
room", and everything else "Sitting" on that. It's so much harder for a brass
band to swing because we havn't got an "Engine room" chugging away.

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra:  A touch of class,    WW2402  (West Wind)
Just listen to the brass voicings here!  Whooo!!!! And a really together swing.
Some interesting bossa feels as well, so you can listen to how the band are
reacting to the rhythm section in another way.

Sun Ra and his Astro Infinity Arkestra			Holiday for Soul
Dance,  Evidence ECD22011-2
A very modern approach to some old standards:  "Day by day"  "Early Autumn",
"Body and Soul" "Keep your Sunny Side Up" etc..  The whole album is
characterised by very unusual phrasing of the "Blowers"  Very uncommercial
swing! A very different "Feel", but non the less, together.  You'll either love
it or hate it.

The Buddy Rich Big Band	 Take it Away	    BGOCD210  BGD Records
A storming album from the 70s  A great version of "Chicago" which swings like
nothing else!

To show there is a bit of swinging big band jazz in the UK there's Fast Jazz,
Fast Women and Astons by the Fraser Myers big band.  Some rocky type feels too,
and astonioshing brass playing.  Distrubuted Polygram, Thinking Man records

(Listen before you buy though - Don't blame me!   :-)	 )

Nigel Wears