what's entertainment?

It's interesting that this theme has come up just as I'm preparing a
program for the forthcoming SCABA entertainment contest at Crawley.
I'm reminded of a story about the late, great Spike Jones - whilst
attending an orchestral concert, he kept hearing a squeaking noise which
was coming from the conductors new shoes - as the man got more animated,
the more he squeaked. Spike was probably the only person who actually
enjoyed this additional entertainment and proceeded to look at ways of
including odd sounds in his music, the rest, as they say, is history. I've
always been a fan of spike and have commissioned an arrangement of one of
his finer works which features amongst other items, a set of saucepans in A
maj.which will be in our program.
As they say, it takes all sorts to make the world go round, if you want to
dress up like a fairy or become a bumble bee or what, as long as the
majority of the audience find it entertaining, does it matter! The funny
thing is, we seem to reserve a lot of this type of thing for entertainment
contests - how many actually include some of the more "interesting"
routines at their summer season venues?

Andy Wooler
Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Public Relations Officer, SCABA, Cyberband member
pers: awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (01273)882539
work: gbsalaw8@xxxxxxxxxxx (01403) 234644