Re: NABBA Instant Band

Jack Alexander wrote:

> I can't see why what is arguable the finest middle brass instrument should
> be excluded from brass bands.  In the good ol' days, maybe it was because
> (a) it was hard to find good french hornists and (b) you could always find
> some other three-valve player to fill in in an emergency, but nowadays
> there are lots of young french horn players coming up through school
> concert  bands and orchestras.

OK, that's rigth (may be), but there is one VERY important reason for
not using trumpets and frenc-horns in brassbands THEY DO NOT SOUND RIGTH
(because they are members of a other instrument family and tradition)
Trumpets and Frenc-horns are not conical instruments like the Cornet,
Flugel-horn, tenorhorn, barytone, euphonium and tubas.  Trombones are
the only cylindrical instrument in a brassband.  One reason for this is
that trombones in early brass-music had a different role than the other
instruments, and other than today.  They where much more signal- and
fanfare-instruments than melodic instruments (Just listen to "Life
Devine" and "Labour and Love")

--
  Trond  Otto Berg
  Principal