Re: brass band instrumentation

Hello everyone!

  I have been sitting back on this thread about Eb horn vs. French horn
for quite some time now, and I have decided to put in my share.  I
currently play Solo Eb in 2 brass bands, my school brass band, and COBB, a
Championship band.  I receive ENDLESS grief from colleague(s) in the
FRENCH HORN section in symphonic band and orchestra, as well as teachers
!!!!  I personally LOVE playing my Eb horn, and to tell the truth, I can
play anything you give me to play on it!  I don't want to sound like I am
stuck up or something, but seriously, I adapt whatever literature I'm
given to the Eb horn.  (I've even played oboe concerti).  I resent people
telling me that I play a "bastard" instrument, and other rude names people
call the Eb horn.  French horn will always be my major, but I would have
to say that playing Eb is my first love!  Don't get me wrong the French
horn is great and all, I am not trying to say it isn't.  But what I'm
saying is I enjoy my Eb as a break from the Frech horn melancholy of all
the other 6 or so ensembles I play in!  Also tenor horn is much more
soloistic in brass band.  While the sound and blend is always an issue, I
think tenor is just traditional in brass bands, so why not leave well
enough alone?  I hope I did not make anyone mad, I just wanted to give my
view on the French/Eb horn thing.  Today someone (another French horn
player) asked our horn teacher why he didn't throw away my (Eb) horn while
I had it convenient in a lesson...!!!!!  Why are some people so opposed to
Eb horns?  (Not that anyone here is, I just wondered if anyone knows...)
   Also...adapters ruin the sound, and I refuse to use one.  So if my
section here wants to use them, and think they outvote me, I will quit
before I ruin my sound on the tenor horn!!!  (Sorry, just blowing off
steam!!!!)

    Just my $2.00 worth!!!(:
	Lisa