Re: It's not the trumpets fault

On 11-Feb-97, Graham Hastings wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Feb 1997 03:50:22 -0500 (EST), MCBBAND@xxxxxxx wrote:

>There is an encyclopedia out there which states
>that Denis Wick is the only producer of true cornet mouthpieces in our day.
> I know that would go over like a lead balloon with most of my American
>friends, but the use of a funnel cup mouthpiece in the American Brass Band
>would do more bring our cornets into an ensemble mentality than any other
>measure to be considered.

>If they won't try Wicks get them to try Warburton's BC (British
>Cornet) mouthpieces.  They're *very* good, lovely cornat sound.

Dave Monette makes a cornet mpc that really has a cornet sound.
The conductor of our band in Toronto, Ron Clayson, has never liked the
sound that the Bach mpcs that I was using for Sop Cornet. When I
brought this Monette to rehearsal he was finally satisfied with, as I was
myself
that the sound had that true cornet should have. Many in North America
who begin as trumpeters try to "use the same mpc on cornet as trumpet."
This usually means a Bach which is basically a trumpet mouthpiece with a
cornet shank.

--
Trumpets and Soprano Cornet
Symphony Hamilton, McMaster Chamber Orchestra

Graham Young
(905)575-8440