Re: Jim Wiliiams

> AS I SAID IN MY PREVIOUS MAIL, I'VE NOT REALLY PLAYED UNDER RICHARD
> (JUST VERY BRIEFLY ONE SUNDAY AFTERNOON), BUT THOSE WHO I KNOW
> WHO HAVE (INCLUDING MY OWN BROTHER AT AN S.A. MUSIC SCHOOL) HAVE
> SAID WHAT A GREAT JOB HE DOES. THE FIRST TIME I SAW HIM, HIS BAND
> PLAYED "FAITH IS THE VICTORY", AND I'VE ONLY ONCE PREVIOUSLY HEARD
> SUCH A CONTRAST IN VOLUMES IN THAT PIECE, AND THAT'S FROM A TAPE
> OF ENFIELD'S 1980 TOUR OF AUSTRALIA. HIS BAND'S PERFORMANCE WAS
> OUTSTANDING, AND IT WAS DOWN TO HIM. THE PLAYERS IN HIS BAND WERE
> NO DIFFERENT TO THOSE IN ANY OTHER BAND, BUT THEY PULLED IT OUT OF
> THE BAG ALRIGHT.

Thanks for the complement, but it must be admitted that we did have two
outstanding players in the band that year, namely Rob Gill on top
cornet and Johnathan Evans on euph.

> PEOPLE HAVE SAID THAT RICHARD'S NOT A VERY GOOD CONDUCTOR, BUT
> THAT CRITICISM HAS BEEN LEVELLED AT JIM WILLIAMS THROUGHOUT HIS
> TIME, BUT IT'S USUALLY BEEN IGNORED BECAUSE HIS TALENT AS BAND
> TRAINER FAR OUTSHONE THE FAILINGS PEOPLE SAW IN HIM AS A
> CONDUCTOR. ALL I CAN SAY IS GIVE RICHARD TIME, AND I'M SURE HE'LL DO
> A GREAT JOB.

I've seen this a number of times, where some of the best trainers in the
world are pretty poor conductors, yet the band still responds brilliantly.

> > Andrew, any plans to return to CANADA this summer for NATIONAL '97?
>
> BOTH MYSELF AND GARY CHAUNDY PLAN TO RETURN TO CANADA FOR
> NATIONAL '97. WHY DO YOU ENQUIRE ?

Andy, can you tell me more about this, it sounds interesting!

// Simon Loukes:
// Eb Bass Chalk Farm and Coventry S.A. Bands
// S.Loukes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx