Re: Tune Books

At 05:35 PM 13/02/97 +0000, you wrote:

<excerpt>

WhyErik wrote:

> At 03:27 PM 1/29/97 +0000, you wrote:

> >Our university brass band wants to find some tune books to use in

> >practices, so i was wondering if anyone belonged to bands that still
had

> >the old SA books lying around, and if so, whether they would be
willing to

> >part with them. My band from back home donated their old ones to bands
in

> >Africa when they bought the new ones.

> To those that have the old Salvation Army tune books (the red covers),
if I

> may tactfully suggest:

> Keep the old ones and donate the new ones!

> Erik Pittock

> pittock@xxxxxxxx

Why?

</excerpt>

The new tune books were published in 1989.  As far as I'm aware, it was
done primarily so as to include a large number of newer tunes, some of
which were in one of two suppliments to the first tune book.  Also, a
number of old tunes were removed (some of which, including Rule,
Britannia always made me smile).  Whether or not it was to improve the
arrangements, make them easier for smaller bands or whatever, there seems
to be widespread view (at least from where I sit) that many of the
arrangements aren't up to the musical standard established by the
previous tune books.  The harmony parts are often simple and some parts,
notably the euphonium part, have been drastically cut back in their
importance.  Whereas they might have had a run to build momentum in a
piece they simply mirror the tune or the harmony.

Now, having said that, bear in mind that, musically speaking, I am not
worthy to carry the batons of many of the people that did the
arrangements.  However like I said, many people have made similar
remarks, some who know what they are talking about, and to paraphrase the
old saying, "I may not know much about music, but I know what I like."
And of course, all of this carries the asterisk that some of the new
arrangements are quite good and the inclusion of the new tunes is a
positive.

But I'm interested in what others think.  And I believe that almost all
of those that I've heard speak negatively about the arrangements have
been on this side of the Atlantic.  To those of you who have used both
the old and the new tune books, how do the new tune books compare?

Erik Pittock

pittock@xxxxxxxx