Re: transpositions

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Alastair Wheeler wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Jack Alexander wrote:
>
> <all Les' and my stuff snipped>
>
> > Maybe we should teach our young players to read in one key as a matter of
> > course.  As Les pointed out, French Horn players are expected to read in
> > several keys, and all the french horn tutors I've looked at (well, all 2 of
> > them) have sections on transposition.
> >
> > Beginners can do it easily.  I've watched my children switch between
> > treble and soprano recorders in mid-concert without thinking about it and
>
> I thought this isn't transposition, but in effect switching between
> cornet and tenor horn (or a similar pitch difference) as most people seem
> to be able to do with little effort.

I thought there was a difference in fingering between the two - you know
- the fingering for a "c" is different depending on which recorder you
are playing. Could be I'm wrong. It's been a LONG while since I played
recorder....

I *have* worked with my beginner brass players on transposition, though,
and they *can* do it easily.  I struggle, and a first-year student breezes
right through the transpositions.  Is it age?  Is it beginners'
luck?  Why can beginners, especially young beginners, handle this so
easily, and older players struggle with it?  Any ideas?

Stephanie