Re: Baritone/Baritone

Stephanie,
	No I'm not laughing - I have visited the States and Canada on
several occasions, only to discover that the majority of Americans (except
those that play in "traditional British-style" bands) haven't got a clue
what the difference is between a baritone, an "American Baritone" and a
euphonium. (In fact I get quite confused myself !) Anyway - here's my
attempt at defining the differences :

The main and most important difference between the euphonium and the
"Baritone-Horn" is the BORE SIZE. The baritone has a smaller bore than the
euphonium, whilst the "American Baritone" (often used in schools) is a
combination of the two instruments - almost a "hybrid".

Another major difference used to be the number of valves, however there are
now 4-valve baritones on the market (although I personally believe the
4-valve baritone is moving dangerously close to a "small euphonium" and
there is a danger the baritone will lose it's identity if we are not
careful).

The Baritone-horn has always been a purely brass band instrument, and has
tended (until more recently) to remain hidden within the band. After a long
hard struggle some people are at last starting to take the instrument more
seriously as a soloist - for example last year I got a solo spot at the
Nova Scotia International Tattoo - something which I don't think any
euphonium has yet had.

(In case you hadn't gathered my instrument is the "baritone-horn" or
"English baritone" as it is very rarely called).

Hope this clears it up - what do you play ?

I bet you're now the one laughing at my attempted explanations,

Speak to you soon,

Steven