Ern Keller band of the Year - A Sydney tradition

Mark Corben of Waratah Mayfield wrote:

>Hello all,
>Waratah Mayfield Brass Band will be competing in the (Ern Keller)
>Entertainment Contest Tomorrow. This will be our first 'outing' with
>our new Conductor Ken Macdonald, a name I'm sure quite a lot of you
>may recognize.

By way of explanation:
"Ern Keller" night follows the NSW State Championships: a number of top NSW
bands are invited to perform at the St Mary's Band Club in western Sydney.
Items usually include "entertainment" rather than traditional competition
repertiore. Adjudication is by "lay" entertainers (not necessarily
band-related). It's a thoroughly enjoyable night. Unlike most contests, the
ale is immediately available and flows freely as you might imagine. All
valves are well-lubricated by night's end. I'm sure Waratah Mayfield
performed well. They are definitely nudging the top in Oz.

Phil Anderton
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney.