Re: Brass Band Preservation Society

I don't know much about this, but that's never stopped me getting my
two-penn'orth in before :)

The brass band history I've read seems to indicate that when they
first started, they contained a very wide spectrum of instruments
and tonal colours.  The present setup was standardized due to pressure
from the contesting side of things.  Orchestras manage fine even with
french horns, violins, bassoons and harps, and most musicians welcome
the variety.

I recognize that the contest scene has made an enormous contribution
to banding, which far outweighs its drawbacks.  Nevertheless I think
we should attempt to add and retain diversity off the contest platform.
I don't buy the 'doesn't fit in' argument.

In contrast to the brass instrumentation, the percussion side seems to
be ever more diverse, with some pieces calling for three or four
percussionists and a truckful of kit, hand percussion, timps, hand
drums, mallet instruments and tubular bells. OK, I'd really love to play
them, but only the top bands can afford to buy them, I think.  I'd just
like overly enthusiastic arrangers to realise that we couldn't even get
a 30-inch timp through the door of our bandroom :(

Tom Sheridan
Percussionist, Failsworth Band
Manchester, UK