Re: Baritone/ Euphonium confusion

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Matt LaFontaine wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Tim Morgan wrote:
>

> > :From what I can gather...
> >
> > ENGLISH	       AMERICAN
> >
> > Tenor Horn	    Alto Horn
>
> Correct...
>
> > Baritone	      Tenor Horn
>
> Bzzt... anyone in a brass band here who plays the baritone calls it that.
> Those who know little or nothing just ask what the name is. I haven't
> heard of it called a tenor horn (yet).
>
> > Euphonium	     Baritone

Just to back Tim on the confusion on this one, (but anyone feel free to
correct me if I'm wrong) the translation that Tim gave are the names
which tend to be used in Continental Europe. At least from the experience
I've come across here in Germany and also talking to other musicians from
Austria etc.
Having played on an Austrian Tenor Horn (our Baritone) last year as a one
off experience, I can tell you it was quite a bizarre feeling. The
instrument had a leftward facing bell, and had rotary valves, as on a
French Horn. Not as nice as my own Sovereign baritone, but then again
I would say that!

Hope that adds to the confusion even more.....

Best wishes

David Elliott