Re: Baritone/Baritone

Matt LaFontaine wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Tim Morgan wrote:
>

> > :From what I can gather...
> >
> > ENGLISH	       AMERICAN
> >
> > Tenor Horn	    Alto Horn
>
> Correct...
>
> > Baritone	      Tenor Horn
>
> Bzzt... anyone in a brass band here who plays the baritone calls it that.
> Those who know little or nothing just ask what the name is. I haven't
> heard of it called a tenor horn (yet).
>
> > Euphonium	     Baritone
>
> Those who aren't knowledgable as to the difference between the two do call
> it that (much to the annoyance of those who do :)

Ths posting is just to add a litle more confuse into this subject.  In
Norway, which is in the German music-tradition, the names of the
instruments are like this.

	English		German/Norwegian
	Eb Tenorhorn	Eb Alto-horn
	Bb Baritone	Bb Tenor horn
	Bb Euph.	C Baritone

The instruments are the same, but the names are different.  e.g in some
norwegian brassband arr. they are using the norwegian naming, so there
are no euph's, just altos, tenors and barytones.  In the really old
German military music-tradition, the alto-horn played the same role as
today, the tenor-horn played the "euph"-role, and the baritone where
used as a discant-tuba.  Due to other instrument faimily (e.g.
saxofones), I think that the German/Norwegian naming-tradition is the
most corect, historicaly speaking.  (elsewhere the brassband is the only
place without any alto-instument).

While using the German/Norwegian tradition we got the choir-setup of
SATB (cornet, Eb Alto-horn, Bb Tenor-horn, C Euphonium)  (The trombone
and the Tubas are then additional parts) But, due to the arranging
tradition in the brassbands the euph are not playing the bass-role, but
a "pavarotti"-role, and the tubas are the bass instruments.  On this
background we can say that the english naming-tradition is corect, but
WHERE ARE THE ALTOS?

--
  Trond  Otto Berg
  Principal