Re: Baritone/Baritone - alto cornet?

On 19-Feb-97, Alastair Wheeler wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Jul 1994, Graham Young wrote:

> One of those turn-of-the-century editions that have been mutilated by
>editors probably.  From memory, I am not sure if there are any trumpets
>in the work.  (it is an unusual ensemble, no high winds and two basset
>horns are needed)

Yes there are two trumpets.BIg 2nd trombone solo in the tuba mirum

>> These parts lie quite high and it is hard to find
>> an alto trombone. In Beethoven 6 the alto trombone is pitched
>> above the 1st trumpet at one point.

>In the 5th, the alto has a top concert F after two bars rest, a 4th above
>the 1st trumpet.  Fun, if that's your sort of thing.

When played with a real alto trombone the sound is incredible,
Keep in moind that the length of tubing on an alto trombone
is SHORTER than the length of natural trumpet in C.

>>  Perhaps they mistook the alto(tenor) horn in Eb

>What would a tenor horn be doing in an orchestra? :-)

>(especially 50 years before it was invented!)

Obviously the that part was used IN PLACE of the alto trombone.
and the part probably copied into the treble clef as not many
Eb horn players read the alto clef of the original part.

--
Trumpets and Soprano Cornet
Symphony Hamilton, McMaster Chamber Orchestra

Graham Young
(905)575-8440