French Horn Hand Stopping

I love the effect of French Horns being "Hand Stopped"

I know the player has to close off the bell, and I know that there is some
transposition involved.

The question is - When a French Horn is hand stopped, does the player transpose
up a semitone or down a semitone?  Can they do either?  Does each get a
different sound?

I've also heard what was called a "Razzle Mute".  Is this a substitute for hand
stopping for a French Hornist?

Are there any passages which call for Tenor Horns to be played at fortissimo
but muted?  Does that come close?

Nigel Wears