Re: Baritone/Baritone

As an interested outsider in this debate, can I make a comment?
There seems to be a remarkable lack of hard numbers in this
discussion.

I would have thought that the following parameters would be useful in
characterizing a brass instrument:

* length of tube
* internal diameter at mouthpiece end
* taper, in percent
* bell final diameter
* metal thickness

I think another figure or pair of figures describing how the tube ends
and the bell starts would be useful, but I'm not sure about the best
way to do this.

I suggest the taper in percent to cut down any confusion over measurement
units.  Otherwise we'll get mils per inch, thou per inch, mm per cm.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, and these numbers are
just not important compared to various less tangible properties that I as
a non-brass player have failed to appreciate.

Tom Sheridan
Percussionist, Failsworth Band
Manchester UK