Re: Baritone/Baritone - alto cornet?

Steve:

I fully understand your apprehension at my message.  E-mail is a difficult
medium for conversation.  My flicornobasso/bombardino note was based on my
reading of Bevan's book.  He seemed to suggest that the bombardino was the
smaller of these two instruments.  I have seen only one "flicornobasso" and
this singular model would seem to be a sort of fluegelhorn rather than a
"tuba family" instrument.  I have seen a picture of the BANDA CITTIDINA
from Ponchielli's era, and this oversize fluegel does not appear, while
several "baritone/euph" instruments are evident.

Having seen three of Ponchielli's scores whole-cloth, and having examined
the catalog of his works, I have surmised that the flicornobasso/bombardino
pairing which obtains throughout his works generally reflects the
baritone/euphonium juxtaposition of the modern brass band.  From the scores
there seems to be a conscious, aesthetic decision as to the assignment of
roles between these two instruments.  I cannot, however, deduce a "set of
rules" that would explain Ponchielli's choices.

BTW, B&H and my school tried to do a demonstration BB to interest US music
educators in it a few years ago.  Its fruits are yet to be determined.
Among the really great experiences was a concert with the "Welsh Wizards,"
i.e., the Brothers Childs.  I have since, in admiration of their skill,
transcribed a double bassoon concerto for BB and soloists.  It is, frankly,
from the period of the Mozart bassoon concerto, and I imagine their(the
brothers') aesthetic might find this a shade subtle.  I would, in any
event. like to share a copy with them.  Has anyone a good address for
either?  Any help would be appreciated, and private e-mail might be more
appropriate here;-)

Henry Howey
Professor of Music
Sam Houston State University