Re: Further to Alto Cornet

> Angela Tregaskes said:
>
> I concur with the theory that the term "alto cornet" may indeed be another
> name for "alto trombone".

It is a fact that the term "alto cornet" IS another name for "alto trombone".
"Cornet" may have been written in a different language, ie. trombone -
posaunne (german).

> Perhaps "alto cornet" parts could also be played on the flugel horn though?

Nope, I don't think so.  An alto trombone is pitched in Eb like the Eb
horn.  While caroling at Christmas time this year with a small SA brass
ensemble, I used an alto trombone one evening instead of Eb horn because our
horn player could not make it for the event.  IT WAS NOT AS EASY AS ONE
THINKS!

I learned to play alto reading alto clef.....obviously, but reading
the Eb part in treble clef can be done, like reading tenor trombone in
treble clef.  Most trombonists also don't realize that most of the notes
ARE NOT played in the same position as a tenor trombone.  I guess you
could try and play flugel part or any other part in its range, but trying
to transpose the Bb part while playing the notes in different postitions
that you are use to would most likely be a disaster!

I think the alto's best use is definetly in trombone ensembles and
choirs because of it's range and colour.  Its use in orchestras seems to
be on an increase lately.  For years, trombonists played the alto part
on their tenor because of the tenors bigger and fuller sound (solo in
Bolero - Ravel).  Alto is great for music written for sakbut too.  It's
use in brass bands would prove to be interesting but it produces a thin
sound and I don't think it would blend very well, being burried by the
rest of the band.  Another mis-conception about playing alto trombone is
"instant high-range".  This is definetly not a true statement.

Mark Sturge
SA bandsman
Principal trombone - WLU Symphony Orchestra
Bass trombone - WLU Wind Ensemble
Trombone - WLU Brass Quintet