RE: Baritone/Baritone

If I may pick a nit, here...

I believe it more correct to refer to the Eb "Soprano" cornet as "Sopranino"
or high soprano.  The Bb cornet should be soprano, and the "Alto" would be a
cornet in low F or Eb.  Bass Cornet, if such a thing were built, would be in
low Bb, as is a trombone.  This classification would then coincide with
orchestral trumpet nomenclature.

One might make a case for the "tenor horns" to be equivalent to the "Alto
cornet" and the Bb Euphonium, equivalent to  the "Bass Bb cornet", and Tuba
would be the "contrabass cornet" in Eb or Bb.

I suppose a Bb "soprano" cornet, in my nomenclature, might be considered a
"piccolo Euphonium".

As for the alto trombone, it is usually in Eb, in the same octave as a tenor
horn, while a tenor trombone, the standard trombone, is in the same octave as
the Bb Euphonium, and a soprano trombone is a slide trumpet.

Wierd, huh?

Comments and such invited...

Guy Clark
guyclark@xxxxxxx