Re: Further to Alto Cornet

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Raymond Sturge u wrote:

<snip>

> I think the alto's best use is definetly in trombone ensembles and
> choirs because of it's range and colour.  Its use in orchestras seems to
> be on an increase lately.  For years, trombonists played the alto part
> on their tenor because of the tenors bigger and fuller sound (solo in
> Bolero - Ravel).  Alto is great for music written for sakbut too.  It's

French composerts always wrote for TTT not ATB trombones.  The Bolero solo
has a range of 2 octaves from C to high Db (concert) and would be very silly on
an alto.  The last note would be equivalent to a low A on a peck-horn,
not recommended.

> use in brass bands would prove to be interesting but it produces a thin
> sound and I don't think it would blend very well, being burried by the

Early 19th centuary bands sometimes used ATB.  There must be a reason why
this died out, my guess being that the alto couldn't support the tenor
in mid-range unisons very well, and was only useful for 'pinging'.
This would coincide with increased melodic, rather than purely harmonic,
use of the trombones.

> rest of the band.  Another mis-conception about playing alto trombone is
> "instant high-range".  This is definetly not a true statement.

No, but you do get more security.  You'd have to be a loony/
_extremely_good_ to play Beethovan 5 on tenor.

> Mark Sturge
> SA bandsman
> Principal trombone - WLU Symphony Orchestra
> Bass trombone - WLU Wind Ensemble
> Trombone - WLU Brass Quintet
>

> --

  Alastair Wheeler