Re: Baritone/Baritone - alto cornet?

ie, euphonium/baritone discussion;

>I do agree however with your sentiments that resulting discussions
>have
>given inconsistent descriptions of instruments and their names,
>largely due
>I believe to the fact that (as you point out) there are no hard and
>fast
>rules.
>
>Steven Booth

While looking at the latest "The Woodwind & Brasswind" catalog I came
across the following question and answer:

Q. What is the difference between a baritone and euphonium?

A. All instruments made in the United States are now and have always been
euphoniums. The term baritone is a misnomer that somehow got carried over
to the U.S. from England when referring to three valve, bell front
instruments. The bore of a true baritone is cylindrical rather than
conical like U.S. instruments. The only true baritone is the English
Baritone that is used in British brass bands.

Bill.Conant@xxxxxxxx
BBb bass Quincy S.A. Band Quincy ,Massachusetts
EEb bass New England Brass Band