RE: Baritone/Baritone

On 21-Feb-97, Guy Clark wrote:
>If I may pick a nit, here...

>I believe it more correct to refer to the Eb "Soprano" cornet as "Sopranino"
>or high soprano.  The Bb cornet should be soprano, and the "Alto" would be a
>cornet in low F or Eb.  Bass Cornet, if such a thing were built, would be in
>low Bb, as is a trombone.  This classification would then coincide with
>orchestral trumpet nomenclature.

>One might make a case for the "tenor horns" to be equivalent to the "Alto
>cornet" and the Bb Euphonium, equivalent to  the "Bass Bb cornet", and Tuba
>would be the "contrabass cornet" in Eb or Bb.

>I suppose a Bb "soprano" cornet, in my nomenclature, might be considered a
>"piccolo Euphonium".

>As for the alto trombone, it is usually in Eb, in the same octave as a tenor
>horn, while a tenor trombone, the standard trombone, is in the same octave as

>the Bb Euphonium, and a soprano trombone is a slide trumpet.

>Wierd, huh?

>Comments and such invited...

>Guy Clark
>guyclark@xxxxxxx

I remember reading somewhere that the Eb was called the soprano
and the Bb cornet the contralto cornet by Adolph Sax.
While at the Great American Brass Band Festival I had
the oportunity to hear the Saxton Cornet Band playing
original Civil War instruments and arrangements.
The soprano parts were played by two Eb cornets.
leaving the second parts to the Bb 'contralto"
cornets.

--
Trumpets and Soprano Cornet
Symphony Hamilton, McMaster Chamber Orchestra

Graham Young
(905)575-8440