Re: Tune Books (fwd)

> Erik Pittock
>
> pittock@xxxxxxxx
>
> </excerpt>
>
> The new tune books were published in 1989.  As far as I'm aware, it was
> done primarily so as to include a large number of newer tunes, some of
> which were in one of two suppliments to the first tune book.  Also, a
> number of old tunes were removed (some of which, including Rule,
> Britannia always made me smile).  Whether or not it was to improve the
> arrangements, make them easier for smaller bands or whatever, there seems
> to be widespread view (at least from where I sit) that many of the
> arrangements aren't up to the musical standard established by the
> previous tune books.  The harmony parts are often simple and some parts,
> notably the euphonium part, have been drastically cut back in their
> importance.  Whereas they might have had a run to build momentum in a
> piece they simply mirror the tune or the harmony.
>

> Now, having said that, bear in mind that, musically speaking, I am not
> worthy to carry the batons of many of the people that did the
> arrangements.  However like I said, many people have made similar
> remarks, some who know what they are talking about, and to paraphrase the
> old saying, "I may not know much about music, but I know what I like."
> And of course, all of this carries the asterisk that some of the new
> arrangements are quite good and the inclusion of the new tunes is a
> positive.
>

> But I'm interested in what others think.  And I believe that almost all
> of those that I've heard speak negatively about the arrangements have
> been on this side of the Atlantic.  To those of you who have used both
> the old and the new tune books, how do the new tune books compare?

Hey Eric,

I've played out of both and have come to the same conclusion that the OLD
are in fact better than the NEW!  I believe you were right in saying that
the arrangements of tunes have been arranged so that they are more easily
played by small corps bands that are not quite up-to-par like other corps
bands.

To my knowledge, most of these tunes were arranged by Ray Steadman-Allen.
If you check out the arrangement of ASCALON (# ?, I forget) to which we sing
the words FAIREST LORD JESUS you will certainly notice the exact
similarity in the opening statement of Steadman-Allen's DAYSTAR!  Wether
these new arrangements of the tunes are bad wouldn't be fair to say, they are
just easier to play.  I will say that some of the tunes are pretty 'lame' but
this can't be blamed on Steadman-Allen, he just arranged the tunes.  Some
are still a challange though, not all SA bands play #385 very well :)

I do miss some of the old tunes but I do enjoy the new as well, too bad
we can't have a book with both! (for the challenged & not so challenged
bands).  Is there any harm in that?  From what I understand, the use of
the old books seems to be strictly forbidden!  What is the reasoning
behind this??

Any way, I think the OLD euphonium part is definety a big loss too.  Those
old arrangements were great!  Too bad we couldn't have the best of both! :(

Mark Sturge