Re: Cornets and their triggers

> Date:	  Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:13:30 +0000
> From:	  Steve Larwood <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To:	    "brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject:       Cornets and their triggers

> Hi chaps
>
> My daughter is learning the Cornet.  She has just changed tutors and has
> had conflicting instruction on when to use her triggers.
>
> Could someone kindly tell me when she should use them?  I cant, I play
> Euph/Trom and havent a clue (well not an informed one anyway).

Low D and C# need plenty of trigger to flatten them.  That is the
official line and there can be little argument over that.  If you
don't use the trigger they are as sharp as old socks; this is one of
the reasons why the alto line in bands is often where the intonation
problems lie.

I find that A above the stave can also benefit from use of the first trigger,
especially if you are playing in unison with the soprano's (generally
flat) E.  On my Bach cornet I sometimes use a little 1st trigger on fifth line
F - I assume that they have made the first valve slide a little short
to keep fourth line D in tune.

In a way, triggers make you lazy - there is a risk that a (young)
player might rely on triggers to solve the problem rather than using
ears and lip.