Re: Cornets and their triggers

>   My daughter is learning the Cornet.  She has just changed tutors and has
>   had conflicting instruction on when to use her triggers.

By definition, if the instrument itself is in tune, but a note played using
(the first or) the third valve is sharp!

A little depends on the instrument, but bottom D usually needs at least a half
inch (1.28 cm for our european friends), bottom C# even more.  Bottom Eb is
normally fairly in tune and doesn't need any trigger  (I would guess that this
is where your conflicting advice comes).  An F on the top line often wanders
sharp and needs a little on the first valve trigger.

The (non-)use of triggers is a big frustration for me;  bottom cornets play
bottom D and C# quite a lot, and once they have been made aware of the problem
they tend to be okay.  Front row cornets, although they are supposed to be
better players, seem to instantly forget that their instrument posseses a third
valve trigger!  Does anyone else find this?

Darren

		Darren Ashman,
	     /  Secretary and Principal Cornet,
  ( =lll==)  \  dashman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx