Re: COMPUTER SCAM

>I realize that if the warning about this computer scam isn't music related,
>neither is this follow-up, but here it is anyways.
>
>I have received now three notices this week about this scheme.  And every
>person that has sent it has been well-meaning and I appreciate each
>person's concern for others.  However, seeing as I doubt highly it's the
>same group of people operating in the UK, the US and Canada (from where
>each of these messages have come to me), might I just suggest that people
>everywhere simply use common sense in dealing with such telephone calls.  I
>would be shocked to find someone who actually provided information such as
>the value of computer equipment, times that they would or would not be
>available and other personal information.
>
>But I have taken up enough of everyone's time.  As I said, I appreciate the
>warning, but take it with a grain of salt - although that warning might
>have come from Chicago or anywhere else, common sense can be a valuable
>weapon in stopping crime.  (Like being careful not to leave an instrument
>in a car - especially an unlocked vehicle!)  (There's the musical angle!)
>
>Erik Pittock
>pittock@xxxxxxxx

My apologies also for using bandwidth for an off-topic issue.

Earlier this week a colleague in the R&D department received just
such a call which was direct-dialled to his desk at work (ie it's
not even in the phone book).  Location is Swindon, UK.

OK, yeah, I've seen them all too - the 'Good Times virus' email, the 'Send
a Postcard' email, and the more recent 'Send an Email' email.  But
this one's for real.

Another point is that you can't always tell the location by the email
address.  My email address looks like USA, but my location is
Manchester, UK.  My company has its own internal network, with a single
internet gateway in California.

Yet another point - if the scheme is successful, other groups of lowlife
may try it out in *your* town.  There's no need to hypothesise an
international conspiracy to explain the spread.  It must be easy to get
lists of phone numbers.

Take care,

Tom Sheridan
Percussionist, Failsworth Band