request for information on copyright

Dear Brass-Band List
 A number of our players spend considerable time arranging musical items
for brass band. One of our solo cornets has a fine arrangement of "O
fortuna" from "Carmina Burana" (spelling?), for band and piano, and
featuring toms and xylophone in the final ff bars. It was well received at
our last concert. Another has an arrangement involving all the star-trek
themes, again a good concert item.
  They and the band would like to publish these arrangements, however we
are not familiar with copyright requirements, in particular how to come to
an arrangement with the owners of the copyright for the music.
 I would appreciate information which anyone on this list can offer about
how to properly go about publishing arrangements of music, for which
copyright is held by another company.
	Out of interest, we will be playing a march in the coming Australian
National A-grade contest which was written by our Musical Director's father
(A.B. aunders) way back in 1912. It is called "Comet" after the appearance
of Halley's comet then. It's a great rollicking concert march, in the style
of Sousa, using lots of soprana ornamentation and cornet trills over the
bass motif. Ours will be the first public performance of the march since it
was written!!

Thanks

Phil Anderton
Warringah Concert Brass Band