RE: request for information on copyright

How does this work?  Do you normally write the arrangements, THEN try to
get permission to use them?  Or do you go through a big copyright hunt,
then when you get permission (and you've forgotten most of what you were
going to write in your arrangement), THEN you write the piece?  Is it "ok"
to play the arrangement without permission as long as you don't make
money from it or publish it?  (I mean, is it legal....) Is an attorney
necessary for any portion of the process?

Stephanie