Re: Test pieces...

Corn COBB Girl! wrote:

> Hey everyone!  I just wondered what those of you with experiece think of
> Wilby's 'The New Jerusalem'?  I think that definitely fits into the
> category of covering many styles of music.  It's very challenging
> technically, but at the same time, incorporates beautiful melodies.  I
> think it's fun to play, but to play it well sure takes a lot of
> practice...that's what makes it a good test piece!  Just curious what any
> of you think...
>
>   Lisa (:
>
> Lisa Kaye Muth
> Solo tenor horn, Central Ohio Brass Band, Heidelberg Brass Band
>
> --

Where did you find the melody? On the 17 bar slow movement?
I was at the contest at Royal Albert when it was played and found very
little in it except technical twiddles. Try listening to it 20 to times.

Interestingly, at that contest, not a simgleband, including the winners,
Grimethorpe, had a totally clean version of the offstage cornet part.
Talk about nerves!

Good luck anyway at NABBA.

By the way has any band ever programmed it after the contest?

Regards, Dave Buckley, Principal trombone, Weston Silver Band and
Burlington Concert Band.