community band festival in St Paul, Minnesota, USA

 Greetings all

Macalester College and Inver Hills Community College (a nearby institution)
have jointly sponsored a community band festival which will have a 15th
anniversary in 1998. We would like to have a "guest band" be the centerpiece of
this festival. One option we are considering is the possibility of having a
group in the brass-band tradition (something not well known in this country)
come in from Canada. The festival concert is always the last sunday in April,
in 1998 that is the 26th.

If there are groups in Canada which could be interested in such a project,
please contact me directly. There is no festival organization, beyond two band
directors, so unfortunately there is no budget with which to bring in such a
group, however we can be of help in organizing additional performances and
getting appropriate publicity organized. For a group located within a day or so
travel of the Minneapolis/St Paul area, this could be the beginning of
organizing a short tour into the upper mid-west. We, of course, would like to
hear as well from any community bands from nearby states interested in making a
special trip here at the end of April.

This announcement, however, is specifically aimed at finding a "special guest"
ensemble to have at the center of our 15th anniversary festival. There would be
6 or 7 other bands performing, but the guest band would have about one hour of
the program, which will last 4 - 4 1/2 hours in a venue which makes coming and
going of audience quite easy. Total attendance at these concerts has been
300-500 at any one time, with an overall total of 800+ over the 4-5 hours. We
would anticipate attendance being a good deal higher for this anniversary
festival. No admission is charged, since it is our intent to showcase community
band playing in Minnesota and we wish the performances to be as easily
accessible to the community as possible.

Interested groups, please contact me at the address in my signature.

best

	Ed Forner			Macalester College
	Music Department		St. Paul, Minnesota 55105
				  ***
	e-mail: forner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	voice/v-mail: 612 696 6189
			   Fax 612 696 6785