Advertising Via This List

A few people have recently asked for guidance covering the thorny issue of
advertising via this list. I've left it some time to gather views.

There is no problem in the occasional advert, you've all seen me advertise my
composition\arrangements via this list, however we don't need the situation seen
on some of the other lists where some publishers push their stuff every week.
I couple this with the fact that although everyone needs to make a living,
I don't make any money out of this list - I do it because I want to - and as
such I would deem it unfair for people to see it as a means for free
advertising, after all you need to pay for an advert in the British Bandsman.
In case you wonder I spend around 4-5 hours a week maintaining this list by
throwing out spams, dealing with bounces incorrect commands, maintaining the
page and vacancies and situations wanted.

So here's my view: No more than one advert per month. All adverts to be
mailed to me and I'll post them on the list. Concerts are not included within
this rule you can freely post them, but notices about vacancies are. All
adverts must relate to Brass Bands. For now I will not make any charge for
this - just don't deluge me!

By the way, on a personal note, I get more annoyed by the "I've put something
on my WWW page, I'm not going to tell you it - you've got to go and find out
for yourself" which appears from time to time, than by the occasional advert
by Paul or others.

--
Nigel Horne. Conductor, Arranger, Band Tutor. Internet: njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fidonet: Nigel Horne @ 2:253/417.49; Packet: G0LOV@GB7SYP.#19.GBR.EDU;