"Black spot" on gold B&H instruments

Dear Brass-band list
 Two of my colleagues in brass have bought "gold" plated and laquered
Boosey and Hawkes euphonia. Over the first 12 months of their life, each
instrument has developed a number of ugly "black spot" tarnish points on
the outside of the bell, right next to the reinforced rim. One is just
accepting this problem as he thinks the gold instrument has a better tone.
The other is returning the instrument for a hopefully untarnished silver
replacement.
  One was told that this is a problem to do with acid remaining in the rim
reinforcement after manufacture, leaching out and affecting the laquer. I
would be interested to know if any others have had this problem, and
whether there is anything that buyers or even B&H can do about it. Anyone
online from B&H?
  I guess purists would only be concerned with instrument tone, but it
would be nice to know that an expensive new shiny instrument (toy) will not
lose its new appearance and resale value.

Philip Anderton
Warringah Concer Brass
Sydney.