Re: Deps, Sponsorship etc.

>Even there, isn't it also sadly the case that certain bands only take part
>in Whit Friday to grab "easy money" from the local bands of lower standard,
>many of whom have supported the contest for many years??? (take Bodmin this
>year for example ....... what on earth are CORNISH bands doing taking part
>in high prizemoney contests in Saddleworth & Thameside Districts??????)
>>

>HERE HERE!!
I'm sorry if this thread might have gone a bit cold, but I am rarely
moved to respond to many otf the messages on the list, but Angela!

I am constantly surprised at the willingness of the Brass Band movement
to shoot itself in the foot. Is our tradition less worthy, less musical,
less professional, less popular than any other in the country. Why
shouldn't dedicated, talented groups of musicians, the like of which we
see playing in our senior bands, command the sorts of fees that go to
the "highbrow" soloists. Was their effort in reaching that standard any
less - of course not.

If we are not going to get revenue from the arts communities then thank
goodness that there are at least companies and individuals who
appreciate not only the quality of the brass band 'product', but who
understand the commersial sense in being associated with such a
widespread movement with universal appeal.

Why should 25 musicians cart themselves around the countryside to sit in
a cow pat strewn field playing to people who largely ignore their
performance all for fifty quid, when anybody with a stack of CDs and
some relatively inexpensive electronics command twice that for making
peoples ears bleed in the pub down the road.

As for Bodmin Town Band competing in the Whit Marches. What's the matter
with that? Or is there also a belief that, not only are the 'Southern
Softies' overpaid etc., but, heaven forbid, they might good enough to
give Northern bands a run for their money!!

--
Charles Biscoe