Re: Nerve (back) Damage and brass

At 17:35 14/06/97 BST, 'twas written:
>I was told the other night at band practice about how there was an
inspection of the premises where another band rehearsed. When seeing the
tubas, the inspector asked if the band possessed lifting equipment, which
of course they did not1 Now all of the tuba players have to go on special
courses to teach them how to lift there instruments.

>IS the whole world going mad??

Not necessarily. Three years ago I had a collapsed intervertebral disc
which kept me out of action for about three months ( I did manage to play
bass in the Nationals though, propped up in a bean-bag. First things
first!) I often wonder whether marching with the Sovereign double B had
anything to do with it. I don't march with that particular bass any more,
nor do I lift anything heavier than a "comfortable" weight. I would
strongly recommend to anyone to make sure they keep their back straight
when lifting, and not to try to lift anything excessive. I am always
careful with the bass now, lifting it only when absolutely necessary.The
pain and inconvenience was something I would not wish on anyone.

Phil Anderton
Warringah
Sydney Australia.