Brain Dead (was Re: Nerve Damage)

> >An interesting piece on the news last night:
>
> >A school and its band director are being sued by the parents of a
> >student who had taken up the french horn.  ...  They are
> >suing ... for failing to instruct the student ...
>

> I was told the other night at band practice about how there was an
inspection of the premises where another > band rehearsed. When seeing the
tubas, the inspector asked if the band possessed lifting equipment, which >
of course they did not. Now all of the tuba players have to go on special
courses to teach them how to lift > > there instruments.

> IS the whole world going mad??
>
> Meanwhile about that bruise where my tuba rests on my hip when i stand to
play.....

> Simon Loukes    Eb.Bass@xxxxxxxxxx

This is truly amazing. I suppose all bands will now have to go out and
instruct all players on manual handling. You will not be able to learn an
instrument unless you have attended the prescribed health and safety
courses. The next question is, how do the bass players carry and lift the
block and tackle needed to lift the basses? Images of four bass players
surrounded by hydraulic cranes and hooks.

Then there is the problem of hearing degradation. At a rough guess a band
playing Fortissimo or Fortefotissimo in a closed room must hit between
80-90 dbm. Probably enough to warrant hearing protection. Will players have
to start wearing ear protectors? If so, conductors really can moan about
players not listening to each other. One of the next door neighbours to our
practice room has lodged several  complaints of noise pollution with us.
They have asked us to keep the doors and windows shut when practicing! This
is fine in winter but infeasible in summer.

What of the chances of RSI/Carpal Tunnel from improper valve usage? Eye
damage from reading music in bad conditions? Ruptured diaphragms from
incorrect posture and breathing and then the Liver/Kidney damage from
drinking to much afterwards? Lets face it Brass Bands are bad for your
health.

As an aside. Two years ago I wrenched my Sacroiliac (sp). I mentioned to
the physiotherapist that I played a B-Flat Bass and asked if this
contributed towards the injury or if there was a better way of lifting it.
The physio was dismissive and said there was little chance the instrument
contributed towards any injury. In fact, she said that it probably helped
strengthen the back muscles.

Now, about that strange ringing in my ears after playing `Amparita Roca'
then `The Wee Magreegor' then `Pendine' and the dizziness from oxygen
starvation.

Dave (Qualified Manual Handler already) Barlow
Bb Bass for Basingstoke Silver Band