Re: Nerve Damage

> I was told the other night at band practice about how there was an
inspection of the premises where another > band rehearsed. When seeing the
tubas, the inspector asked if the band possessed lifting equipment, which >
of course they did not. Now all of the tuba players have to go on special
courses to teach them how to lift > > there instruments.

> IS the whole world going mad??

I work in engineering and know about correct lifting and handling of heavy
objects, so it seems to me a matter a common sense that players of heavier
instruments should know how to handle them correctly, and not just while
playing.

How many young bass players have you seen who seem fine whilst playing...
but Dad has to come and carry it back to the car after the rehearsal!

I am a cornet player, but one of my first lessons in playing (oh so many
years ago) was how to sit or stand holding the instrument correctly.
Surely any brass teacher, or any other player who is giving guidance to a
less experienced player should make sure that they can handle their
instrument without the chance of giving themselves a serious personal
injury.

Kevin Smith (Band Manager - Blackley Band)
Oldham, Greater Manchester, UK
kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx