Re: Spousal Approval

> My work schedule appears to have cleared rehearsal night so that I may play
> BBb Bass with the newly formed Prairie Brass Band in the suburbs of Chicago.
>  However, I still face one major obstacle--my wife.
>
> Don't get me wrong.  I love her dearly.  But she vehemently objects to
> "another night that Daddy's not going to be home."
>
> I may have one solution.  Although she does not play an instrument, she is a
> professional singer (soprano).  What works have been written for Brass Band
> with soprano solo?  (Note the strategy: she may resign to "if you can't beat
> 'em, join 'em.")
>
> I've taken other steps to get her enthused (or at least tolerant) of Brass
> Band activity: I took her to an Illinois Brass Band concert; I'm taking her
> to the movies (3 guesses which current film, the second 2 guesses don't
> count).

Steve,

I don't know the answer to your problem as I dont know you and your wife, but I
am going through a divorce right now partially due to me being a professional
musician. The time commitment, as you know, is trememdous. By the nature of
the beast, we have to be selfish with our time to achieve what we want to
accomplish musically, but there can be a heavy price to pay....I know.

When I won the NABBA lyrical solo title this year at Red Wing, it very nice,
but when I got home, there was no one there to clelebrate it with me-it was a
hollow victory in many ways.

So, my advice is to tend to the relationship if you care....its hard to go back and
change things once you get so busy and into yourself.

Just a thought or two......

Kevin Baker
Central Ohio Brass Band