Re: Steve Sykes (Tubaist)

In message "Steve Sykes (Tubaist)", you write:

<...Snip...>
> Re:
> Re:I hope one of the solos was Monti's "Czardas".
> Re:
> Re:Regards
> Re:
> Re:Ian McKechnie
> Re:<mckechnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It is. And yes, I am in Canada. Ottawa, Ontario, our Nation's Capital.
Home of the Woods Manufacturing Brass Band, the Governor General's Foot
Guards band, and Tubalation! - Ottawa's Tuba Quartet.

Steve played Czardas with us in a military tattoo held a few weeks ago
in Hamilton, a city on Lake Ontario between Niagara Falls and Toronto.
Introduced as "The Pavarotti of the Tuba!", the audience had no idea
what to make of this mountain of a man strolling into the arena bearing
what, on Steve, looked more like a euphonium than a tuba.

By the time Steve was finished, he had the entire audience of about 8500
very neatly in his hands. They were wild about his performance of
Czardsa. Besides his usual antics, like holding a note for about 2
minutes, dancing around, scratching his bum, and so on, Steve also
competed with Dave Druce for control of the band, plopped his tuba over
Dave's head when his back was turned, and generally had loads of fun. By
the time  Czardas was over, the crowd was wild with laughter and highly
appreciative of Steve's mastery of the Tuba.

Too bad we can't have videos on CD. Yet!

Anyway, Steve Sykes is highly recommended both as a serious performer and
as an entertainer. Great guy to down a couple of suds with too!

...Hal