Re: Re: Low Notes Adhering to Written Page?

In a message dated 7/10/97 6:04:55 PM, you wrote in a thoughtful reply:

<<My own opinion on the subject is that many of the earlier works written

for the brass band were composed at a time when the availability of 4

valve BBb tubas was poor, if not non existent (the use of the old King,

York, Conn tubas was sadly a complete taboo; we brits are historically

very parochial when it comes to brass band instruments.) thereby making

anything below low E (written F#) impossible. Now these instruments are

in common use today, I see no reason why the practice of ONE player

playing down the octave should be frowned upon.>>

<<I hope this helps somewhat in your quest for answers.>>

Adrian:

Not only does your response gratifyingly verify what I thought I was hearing
on brass band recordings, it also has given me an unexpected reason to
rejoice.  My tuba is indeed one of the large bore instruments you mention: a
Conn 25J 4-valve BBb Bass.  With the indulgence of my fellow BBb Bass player
in upcoming brass band run-throughs, I now know that it is not improper (with
the approval of the conductor!) to *tastefully* double the octave.

Kindest regards,
Steve Marcus
P.S.  For those who saw my previous posts about having a Conn 24J, I am
delighted to report that I have exchanged the forward bell with an upright
bell, thus changing the model designation to 25J according to Conn's
nomenclature for the difference in the bells.  The result seems to be a more
warm, round sound without the directionality of the forward bell that
emphasized the upper partials to the conductor and audience.  Needless to
say, I can hear myself better, which should enhance the balancing act in
brass band playing and especially in my brass quintet.  And of course, the
tuba is easier to handle, see from behind, and place in resting position on
the floor!